This was the Pugh House. Or more formally known as the Ann Pugh Farm at 523 Pugh Road in Wayne, Tredyffrin Township, Chester County. The realtor who sold it is Sue Fitzgerald of Berkshire Hathaway, or formerly known at Prudential Fox & Roach. Or so I am told (the photos tend to indicate this is the same property.)
Not to put to fine a point on it, but I hope she chokes on her commission. It’s historic blood money in my humble opinion. No one in historic preservation that I know (and one of my friends is head of Tredyffrin Historic Preservation Trust ) even had this property on their radar as in danger. ( See today’s post on Community Matters) Why? Because this place was lovingly and perfectly restored and was completely updated even with a guest barn! It sat on 2.2 bucolic acres with a beautiful pool. It was built in 1795 according to the Realtor’s website. Here is the deed: pugh road deed
I just do not understand what possesses people to destroy properties and homes like this. Just because they can somehow doesn’t seem acceptable.
This house was a treasure. And I could kick myself for not photographing it when I could have a few months ago when I was in the area photographing other homes for Tredyffrin’s historic house tour. I actually got turned around on Pugh and thought this was one of the houses I was supposed to photograph initially.
Also no one seems to have heard about any kind of demolition or salvage sales and can you imagine what has been lost?
This is how the Realtor described her listing:
Property Description* Historic Property with sections dating from 1795, 1833 and 1839, with further expansion in 1917 and 1940. (No historic preservation restrictions – just great stories to tell!)
* Formal Living Room and Grand Dining Room (seats 25) for elegant entertaining.
* Handsome mahogany paneled library/study with built-in cabinetry and wet-bar.
* Farmhouse kitchen with custom cabinetry, wood countertops, center island, gas cooktop, Sub-Zero fridge, double-ovens and sunny breakfast area.
* Cozy family room/den with original hearth fireplace.
* Generously proportioned master suite with dressing area, ensuite bath and sitting room.
* 5 Fireplaces (4 in use; 3 wood-burning with gas starters and 1 gas).
* Rich, wide-plank wood floors.
* Zoned heating and central air (main house)
* Temperature-controlled wine room
* Heated pool with spa
* Flagstone terraces, patios and walkways
* Guest Barn with large living/entertaining space, kitchenette, dining area, loft bedroom and full bath.
* Picturesque Spring House (now used as a potting shed) and meandering stream for skipping stones, wading barefoot and catching tadpoles!
* Detached, over-sized two-car garage with loft storage.
* New cedar roofs on main house, guest barn and spring house (2013)
* Newer gas furnaces in main house (2010) and guest barn (2013).
* Expansive grassy lawns and mature landscaping offer a quiet, private retreat.
Lovingly maintained and cherished. A truly special property for the discerning buyer… Make this your “forever” home!
$1,400,000MLS#: 6231093Lot Size:2.2 acresYear Built:1795Fireplaces:5 (4 in use)Garage:oversized, 2-car detachedSpecial Feature:Guest BarnSpecial Feature:Spring HouseSpecial Feature:Heated Pool with Spa
Here are some of the photos that Prudential advertised the property with (including on Pinterest):