- 2 cups all purpose flour (yesterday I used bread flour it was all I had)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin (15 oz)
- 1 cup sourdough starter-( fed within the last week and you have to let it warm up from out of your refrigerator for at least two hours)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup or even 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut or raisins
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Directions: Mix all wet ingredients except for sourdough starter.
Add spices. If you don’t like as many spices in a pumpkin bread as I do just decrease it. I am a cinnamon fiend I love cinnamon.
Stir in sourdough starter.
Stir in dry ingredients until just mixed. everything has to be incorporated so you’re just going to have to pay attention. I do this by hand not with a mixer.
Pour into a lightly greased Bundt pan and bake at 350° for approximately one hour. I use a metal skewer the skinny kind like you used to close the back of a turkey to test to see if the baking is complete. Toothpick or skewer should come out clean.
Cool in pan at least 25 minutes before removing from pan.
My final COVID-19 cooking note is if you can find canned pumpkin at a reasonable price by it because the prices attached to it now are absurd.